Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport-Stadio claims this morning that Roman Abramovich has lodged another improved bid of £37m with Juventus for their French international striker David Trezeguet.
Bianconeri director general Luciano Moggi has confirmed that an initial offer for Trezeguet was rejected earlier this month, but these latest reports from Italy suggest that negotiations are continuing.
Meanwhile it is reported that Chelsea is still interested in signing Parma’s Alberto Gilardino.
Milan are said to be in pole position to sign the 22-year-old, but both Chelsea and city rivals Inter — who are believed to be preparing a â‚¬22 million bid that includes Giovanni Pasquale, Julio Cruz and Domenico Morfeo, who spent last season with Parma — remain interested in the Italy international striker.
Milan are aware of Chelsea’s interest and may well have to compete with Abramovich’s spending power, although their desire to keep Hernan Crespo could work in the Blues’ favour and prevent a bidding war.
“Chelsea, evidently, have other options and will decide what they want to do,” explained Milan president Adriano Galliani to the Mirror.
“Chelsea are looking for a striker but haven’t found one yet, we’ll see what happens.”
Gerrard, Robinho and Torres rumours · Update
While we’re at it we may as well mention some of the rumours in today’s tabloids.
Chelsea are preparing to relaunch a bid for Steven Gerrard after the Liverpool captain’s contract talks foundered, according to several Sunday tabloids including the News of the World.
The News of the World also reports that Chelsea and Arsenal will go head-to-head for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres.
And the Daily Star Sunday says Chelsea are eyeing Brazilian wonder boy Robinho, who’s also a target for both Real Madrid and Arsenal.
That’s your lot.