The Sun newspaper, paragon of sensationalist transfer news, writes that Steven Gerrard wants to sign for Chelsea after deciding to quit Liverpool.
A ‘pal’ of Gerrard’s has revealed: “Stevie is so unhappy at how things have been handled by Liverpool.
“He puts the blame squarely at the door of Benitez and Parry — even though they may argue otherwise. Now he knows it is over and he is going to look forward.
“The way Chelsea have continued to show faith in him — even after he turned them down last year — has convinced him that is where he should go.
“Madrid is no longer an option as far as he is concerned now Chelsea have shown their hand.
“Deep down Stevie is a home bird and would prefer to stay in England. Chelsea is the place for him — it’s just a matter of getting the deal sorted out.”?
- Gerrard confirms he will quit Liverpool
- Chelsea’s clout has Real on back foot
- Gerrard’s tale of the unexpected brings old Anfield nightmare to life
- Gerrard’s desire for title overrides loyalty
- Liverpool target Duff as Gerrard cuts ties
- Gerrard move to prompt England rethink
- Gerrard walks out on furious Liverpool
- Mourinho’s masterplan for Europe could leave Cole in cold
- Parry insists departing captain will be proved wrong
- Gerrard: Why he had to go
- Both sides will end up as winners
- Fury as Gerrard auction begins
- Gerrard testing the resolve of market leaders