A few links I’ve come across recently that you might enjoy:
- Highlights video of Chelsea’s win over LA Galaxy – See John Terry’s excellent left foot strike, and Steve Sidwell’s “welcome to the game” tackle on David Beckham. Nice one, Steve. Terry scored two great goals during the pre-season tour of California: see his other game-winner, a header against Club América in this highlights video.
- US soccer’s white knight rides in – David Beckham is being presented as football’s saviour in America but the Financial Times wonders whether the sport really needs rescuing. I remain unconvinced that Beckham will make any difference to Major League Soccer’s mass appeal.
- Beckham’s magic shows – Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times was quite taken by Beckham’s hobbling and the surrounding razzmatazz. Easily pleased I guess.
- The 50 worst transfers – The Times lists 50 worst signings made by Premier League clubs since the League’s inception in 1992, based on the size of transfer fee and impact made by the player. Unsurprisingly, several Chelsea transfers make the list including Khalid Boulahrouz, Andriy Shevchenko, Paul Furlong, Glen Johnson, Adrian Mutu, Chris Sutton, Juan Sebastian Veron, and Robert Fleck. Quite a line-up. Thoughts?
- Terry won’t follow Becks – “I’m pretty sure I’ll stay in England in the wind and rain and a long, long way from the sunshine and lavish lifestyle in LA.” John Terry admits the prospect of following David Beckham to Major League Soccer and mixing with midget cultists and desperate housewives is not something that appeals to him.