In the foreword to a new book celebrating the club’s centenary, Chelsea FC: The Official Biography, Roman Abramovich writes of his strategy to make Chelsea the most successful football club in the world.
“This book tells the story of the great history and tradition of Chelsea Football Club and this is something I have the utmost respect for,” he says. “It represents the heart and soul of the club and the values it was built on.
“I hope to carry this forward in the true blue tradition of Chelsea but also to build even stronger foundations to last us for the next 100 years. In the long term our strategy is to build the most successful football club in the world.”
Abramovich also writes of the pleasure he has derived from his association with Chelsea.
“When I first became involved in Chelsea I had little idea of how much joy and excitement it would bring me and I can think of no more fitting tribute to our centenary season than to enter it as Premiership champions. That is like a dream come true.
“It was 50 years since our previous title and everybody’s working hard to ensure we will not have to wait that long again.
“In future we hope to bring even more joy than you (the supporters) have experienced over the last 100 years.
“In order to do this many challanges lie ahead. We want to retain the Premiership title and, of course, challenge again in Europe.
“Maybe this year we can go one stage better and go to the Champions League final.”
Get 40% off Chelsea FC: The Official Biography – The Definitve Story of the First 100 Years at Amazon UK, or 34% off at Amazon US.
- Abramovich wins new term as Chukotka governor
- Putin greets Abramovich on second term as Chukotka governor
- Arnesen plots stage two of Chelsea’s rule
- Arnesen helping Chelsea to put the cheque book away
- Mourinho: A champion’s fury
- Chelsea were on the brink before takeover
- Mourinho hints at longer stewardship of Roman empire
- Mourinho has special ingredient
- Big-game hunter Arnesen on scent of the future Terrys