Chelsea have completed the signing of Lyon midfielder Michael Essien in a deal worth around €36m (£24.4m). The Ghana international is thought to have signed a five-year contract.
A statement on the official website said: “Chelsea can confirm it has now reached an agreement with Lyon for the transfer of Michael Essien.
“Michael has also agreed personal terms and passed a medical. The transfer is a club record for Chelsea and we would all like to welcome Michael to the club.”
Chelsea are expected to unveil Essien at a news conference at the Cobham training ground at 12:45 BST.
Press conference · Update
The press conference unveiling Michael Essien as a Blues player finally got underway at 13:30 BST.
Both Jose Mourinho and Michael Essien were asked the usual banal and obvious questions and gave stock answers: Mourinho’s happy to have finally got his man; he may have still moved for Essien even if the Gerrard bid had proved successful (he was his usual cryptic self); and Essien is pleased to have joined the English Champions etc., etc.
Mourinho was also asked about Ricardo Carvalho. He confirmed what he said yesterday. Club spokesman Simon Greenberg then added that Carvalho has issued a statement apologising for his unwarranted outburst.
- Essien saga ends as Chelsea complete signing
- Mourinho introduces his new ‘multifunctional midfielder’
- Chelsea wanted Essien and Gerrard
- Mourinho revels in humiliating dissenter
- Essien has eyes opened to the demands of his new taskmaster
- Essien happy to be ‘final piece of Chelsea jigsaw’
- Mourinho hails arrival of Essien, his special one
- Chelsea feel force of nature